How to care for bed linen?
Soft, fresh, beautiful bedding is an essential part of every presentable bedroom. Unfortunately, in order for a sleeping set to maintain a neat look for a long time, it is not enough to give preference when buying more expensive materials. You just need to properly care for it, observe the conditions of washing, drying, ironing and storage. Despite the fact that the type of material plays a significant role in preserving the presentation of bed linen, there are still several universal ways to care for it.
Bed linen care rules
Always read the instructions on the label carefully.
Be sure to wash a new kit before using it. It is advisable to do this on a delicate mode at a temperature of 30 degrees, then you can wash at 40 degrees.
Sort the laundry by color and type of fabric before washing. Typically, it is divided into three categories: white and light, color, dark and black.
Never wash cotton sateen with other fabrics! This can lead to pilling. It is not recommended to wash bed linen, even with terry towels. Their fleecy structure in this case will work like sandpaper, which will lead to faster wear of the fabric.
Before washing, be sure to turn your pillowcases and duvet cover inside out with all zippers, buttons or buttons fastened. This will protect the fabric from possible snags and tears, help retain color longer, and also cleanse the debris accumulated in the corners.
If there are stains on the sheets or pillowcases, you must treat them before washing, following the instructions for the specific type of stain.
When loading the washing machine, make sure that the drum is not overfilled, otherwise everything will collapse into one lump, and such washing will be of little use. The drum should be 2/3 full and ideally half full.
It is recommended to wash bed linen once every 1-2 weeks, depending on your lifestyle, habits and body characteristics.
When washing it is necessary to choose the right detergent. It must be free of bleaches. It is good to use liquid detergents, they are more gentle on the fabric. And do not overdo it with the amount, laundry deteriorates from an excess of powder! It is advisable to use it a little less than the instructions require.
For bed linen made of cotton sateen, a delicate wash cycle at t 30-40 degrees is better. It is better to wash microfiber linen at t not higher than 30 degrees.
! Do not get carried away with rinses! They are not rinsed out to the end, as a result of which the bedclothes begin to absorb moisture worse and “breathe” worse, and this will directly affect the comfort of your sleep.
Use a gentle spin mode, no more than 600 revolutions, this will save your laundry from creases and keep the fabric from wear and tear for a longer time.
Dry your laundry in a natural way immediately after washing, avoiding direct sunlight and electrical appliances.
When using a tumble dryer, use a delicate setting.
Bed linen is recommended not to be ironed at all, it is enough just to fold it neatly. But if you cannot do without ironing, then ironing the linen is best slightly damp at a temperature of up to 200 degrees.
Make sure your bedding is completely dry to avoid unpleasant odors.
Store your bedding in a dry, airy place away from direct sunlight. This will keep the bed from fading and damaging the fibers.
It is advisable to have three sets of bed linen for each bed: one set in use, the second in the closet, and the third in the wash. This will ensure that all the laundry has uniform wear and tear, which allows the fibers of the fabric to recover between uses.
10 tips for bed linen care:
1. Pay attention to the tag on the bedding set, its label or special inscriptions and designations on the package of the set. Thanks to the symbols, you can get information about the correct care for it, the features of the material, recommendations for washing and drying certain things.
2. After purchasing a new kit, be sure to wash it according to the wash conditions for the particular fabric. For example, laundry made from natural materials is best hand washed in cold or cool water. This will undoubtedly improve its appearance and make the fabric softer.
3. Be sure to turn bed linen inside out before washing. Be very careful with brightly colored items and bleaching powders. It’s also best to zip up pillowcases and duvet covers for convenience. This will allow the kit to maintain a bright and rich color for a long time.
10 tips for caring for bed linen
4. Also, before washing, it is important to separate the laundry into white and colored, to separate natural fabrics from delicate ones (satin, silk, chiffon). If this condition is not met, natural materials will coarse.
5. Fill only half of the washing machine drum. Thus, the wash will be flawless, and the powder will not remain in the fibers of the fabric. Wipe the drum periodically to avoid unwanted stains and unpleasant odors.
6. Use a delicate spin during mechanical washing (temperature about 30-40C, 400-600 rpm), while washing by hand, wring out the clothes without twisting.
7. Drying of bed linen should be done immediately after spinning to eliminate specific odors and problems with ironing in the future. In order to save time, you can lay out the sheet and iron on it, that is, iron several things at the same time.
8. Iron your laundry when it is slightly damp, this will make ironing easier and more thorough. Also, do not forget that cotton needs to be ironed from the outside, as dents will be visible on the front side.
9. When ironing, do not use a temperature higher than 150 degrees. Products with embroidery or rhinestones should be ironed only on the wrong side without using steam, putting them on an ironing board to prevent defects in these parts.
10. It is recommended that you renew your pillowcases approximately every two weeks. If this rule is not followed, a large amount of dirt accumulates on the sleeping set, which has a disease-causing effect on human health.