How to respond to an insult beautifully and witty?
In our age of rapid technological development, mutual understanding and communication between people are steadily moving away. Unfortunately, rudeness and rudeness are increasingly taking their place.
To maintain the respect of others and personal dignity, you need to know how to respond to an insult. However, it is not enough to answer a person, you still need to behave with dignity, not becoming like your opponent. How to behave in such a situation, what to say and in what tone, let’s consider together.
Why do people insult
Insult is a deliberate humiliation of honor, as well as the dignity of a person, which is expressed in indecent forms.
Divided into several categories:
- Verbal form.
- Written form.
- Actions degrading the dignity of a person.
Despite the fact that each category bears an individual trait, they have one thing in common – to humiliate the opponent in their own eyes and in the eyes of the public.
- Unreasonable criticism.
- Making fun of physical or mental disabilities.
- Physical strength that is aimed at humiliating another.
There are many reasons for a person to cross the line of simple humor and outright rudeness. However, there are basic criteria that unite them:
- Dissatisfaction with personal life and success. Dissatisfaction with personal life, business success, as well as the circle of people, lead to the outpouring of anger on others. Moreover, the reason for this behavior sometimes cannot be explained by the person himself.
- A feature of temperament, as well as emotions associated with strong excitability. Pay attention to the fact that most of the insults are uttered or committed when the person is negatively aroused. The reason for this may be a quarrel or anger. After emotions fade away and normal perception of their surroundings returns, the vast majority feel guilty.
- Pride or arrogance. Typically, this includes people with delusions of grandeur and heightened sense of personal importance. From such, especially if the opponent is already in years, one should not expect regret or sincere apologies, since their “status is much higher.”
- Confirming your identity, humiliating others. Such a person lives in self-deception, since having humiliated the weaker, he feels himself strong. Behind this lies a lack of confidence and inferiority complexes.
- Education, as well as the lack of a culture of communication. From an early age, we are taught to be polite and tolerant with others. If the elementary rules of decency were not instilled in early childhood, then with age it translates into rudeness in relation to others.
- Provocation. This option is chosen when they want to show a person from the negative side. It is difficult to predict the consequences of such actions, but it is safe to say that a person’s reputation will fall.
After conducting a superficial analysis of the insults, an understanding comes – as a rule, behind such actions is dissatisfaction with personal life and success, complexes and arrogance. Pity is the only experience the abuser deserves.
However, when suddenly faced with such behavior, most do not immediately realize it and try to respond. There is no positive effect from this, and sometimes the situation, on the contrary, only gets worse.
How to respond to rudeness
Absolutely everyone faced situations when he was insulted. Moreover, any person can do this – from loved ones to a stranger. Accordingly, a completely normal question arises – how to respond correctly in order to defuse the situation.
- Restraint. Calm, even detached behavior, can extinguish a conflict situation. Many believe that this is a weakness, however, the ability to stop yourself at the right moment requires much more fortitude than getting involved in a useless argument.
- Laugh it off. This method is suitable for those who do not want to be disappointed in the opponent, and he, respectively, in you. Moreover, if this person is not indifferent to you. It is quite difficult to do this, since the emotional component overwhelms both. Despite this, making an effort on oneself and interrupting a quarrel through a joke is considered the work of a strong personality. You can be sure that after a while the offender himself realizes that he is wrong.
- Logical arguments. The option is not the easiest, but perhaps the most difficult. Agree, it is not easy to hear the voice of a cold mind when emotions overwhelm, and feelings spill out. The most convenient option is to calmly ask why he has such an opinion of you, and when you hear the answer, just ask for reasons. In most cases, this is enough for the person to shake up and think a little.
- Shame. When a person behaves in a boorish way, and you know that this is not in his character, then just shame. Perhaps this will be enough for him to realize that he has crossed the line.
This option is also suitable for addressing a younger person.
What to do if you are rude:
- Stranger. The easiest option would be to completely ignore it. Moreover, if there is no direct threat of physical impact on you or those around you, then do not pay attention.
- A close or dear person. Here, the best way to stop the quarrel is to have a balanced and calm reaction. Tell your face that everything that has been said hurts and you do not want to continue to communicate in this way.
- Colleague. Here you should try to move away from the conflict situation. When this does not help, and insults become regular, then respond neutrally, but tartly.
- Leader. Conflicting with management is not the smartest option. Listen by looking into your eyes, but don’t answer. In this case, turn to psychological tricks, for example, imagine him as a little moody child.
Beautiful and smart answers to rudeness
Phrases answers in this category should sound not only beautiful and smart, but also reach the exploded interlocutor. Therefore, whatever you say should sound calm. Only in this case is it possible to stop the quarrel with clever words.
- Hasn’t been an easy day today?
- Do you want to hurt me? But for what?
- For what reason are you acting like this?
- Why are you raising your voice? After all, we are strangers.
- What could have happened that pissed off such a tough person?
- Let’s stop and cool off.
- Sorry, but I’m not ready to continue this conversation.
- Now, you look much worse than you really are.
- It doesn’t suit you at all to be rude!
- Was that how your parents raised you?
- If you find yourself in a situation where a stranger is in conflict, then it is better to respond to rudeness in a neutral and calm manner. So you show your indifference to the person and the words, and this always acts like a cold shower.