Each of us has a moment in life when we lose interest in the whole environment, we don’t want anything, apathy and irritation appear. And then the question arises: I have apathy for life, what should I do? How to overcome apathy and fatigue in such moments of life? Let’s figure it out.
First, let’s find out what is apathy? Apathy is a symptom that is expressed in indifference, indifference to the entire environment, lack of strength and motivation. Interest in hobbies and moments that used to be enjoyable is often lost. Apathy is often confused with laziness. At first glance, these two states are very similar, but if you look at it, they have significant differences. Laziness is a bad habit that has become a trait of a person’s character. A person does not perform any business, because he is not interested. Instead of doing them, he prefers to watch TV or play on the computer. That is, if he replaces the performance of some things with others, then this is common laziness. With apathy, the desire to do business fades away.
We figured out the difference between apathy and laziness, now let’s find out why apathy appears.
Causes of apathy
External – these are those that act on a person from his environment or from some areas of the body.
- severe stress (illness or loss of a loved one, redundancy at work, some kind of disaster, etc.);
- creative crisis or emotional burnout (responsible work, continuous creative activity, stressful lifestyle);
- condition after illnesses that have been difficult and for a long time;
- disorders of the endocrine system;
- negative reaction of the body when taking medications;
- premenstrual syndrome in women.
Internal causes belong to a more serious group. Apathy can be a manifestation of psychological illnesses (schizophrenia, depression, Alzheimer’s disease).
Signs of apathy:
- restriction in communication (when a person is in a state of apathy, he does not want to expose himself to communication with someone, and he consciously or not, begins to limit his social circle);
- a decrease in interest in professional life;
- unwillingness to perform ordinary, household duties;
- a state of fatigue that does not go away even after a good rest;
- a sharp decrease in appetite;
- mental and physical reactions are slowed down;
- concentration of attention is impaired;
- slurred speech;
- no initiative is shown.
All of these signs can be similar to those that appear during depression. But, these states are different from each other. Many doctors define depression as an illness that must be treated with medication and counseling. Apathy is a condition that you can cope with on your own, if you do not start the process. Psychologists offer various methods and ways to get rid of apathy, as well as how to deal with it and cope with apathy.
How to deal with it
There are many methods for dealing with apathy. In Google, we can see the following queries: “how to overcome apathy and laziness in yourself”, “effective ways to combat apathy”, “apathy to life, what to do”, etc. We have collected the most effective ways in one place to help defeat apathy.
- At first (1-2 days), let go of apathy. Cry, “cheer up” for your pleasure, have pity on yourself. At this time, it is important to feel everything that has accumulated. After this stage, an understanding will come that something needs to be changed.
- Start doing things through “I don’t want to”. Make a to-do list and follow it strictly. This will prevent you from being distracted by suffering.
- Pamper yourself. After you’ve done everything on the list, it’s important to reward yourself. Buy something tasty or something you’ve dreamed of trying for a long time. This will create a sense of pleasure and pleasure, and you will get even closer to normal.
- Active lifestyle. Spend your time outdoors more often, play sports outside. We all know the power and importance of exercise, and when combined with fresh and clean air, this is a direct path to “recovery.”
- Healthy food. In a state of lethargy, it is important that the body recovers as quickly as possible, so switch to proper nutrition. Eliminate fast food and bad habits. Eat more fruits and vegetables, and foods rich in vitamins. It will be great if you switch to steam cooking. Take care of your body not only outside, but also inside.
- Get some rest. In a state of apathy, it is important not to overdo it. Take time to relax, go for a massage, sauna. Practice meditation. If possible, take a vacation or day off.
- Healthy sleep. Getting adequate sleep is essential to cope with apathy. Sleep for 7-9 hours. Be sure to ventilate the room before bed. When you sleep, your bedroom should be in darkness, so cover the windows with blackout curtains and exclude all light sources. Also remove all sources of noise, turn off your phone, TV. Before getting ready for bed, take a walk, do some light exercises, take a warm bath. This will help your body relax and you will get a good night’s sleep.
- Impression. Tune in to positive emotions. Visit an amusement park, water park or zoo. Watch a good movie or cartoon. And if possible, take a trip where you have never been. Such emotions will displace all the negativity that has accumulated during the time of apathy.
- Communicate. Don’t forget about your friends and family. Don’t push them away if they want to talk to you. Communication always helps to cope with problems, remember this.
And in the event that you do not know how to overcome apathy on your own, then contact a psychotherapist. There is nothing wrong with that! He will give you advice on how to get rid of apathy, and will really help you with this. Remember that our health depends not only on physical performance, but also on the emotional and mental state. Each person, one way or another, is faced with a state of apathy. This state is always temporary, which everyone can overcome.